Omicron Deadly for Unvaccinated, Elderly, and People with Underlying Conditions
Click the image below to enlarge the infographic.
- Director of the World Health Organization's health emergencies program said that the omicron variant is deadly for the unvaccinated, the elderly, and people with underlying conditions
- Dr. Mike Ryan made the statement Tuesday in a Q&A sesson livestreamed on the agency's social media channels, noting that unvaccinated people faced a higher risk of infection by the variant and a higher risk of severe illness and death
- Maria Van Kerkhove, the agency's COVID-19 technical lead said the elderly and people with comordities also had a higher risk of death from omicron compared with other groups
- Van Kerkhove, however, noted that a much lower proportion of people are dying from COVID-19 during the omicron wave, with a much lower risk of hospitalization and death compared with the delta wave
- She added that the variant has been detected in every country with a capacity for good genetic sequencing, and potentially in every nation already, as the variant drives a surge of the infection across the world